Sunday, July 14, 2013

There is one issue that I like to bring awareness about: Bullying.


There is one issue that I like to bring awareness about: Bullying. Bullying is a huge thing that is occurring in school and outside of school. My daughters were in Kindergarten and 1st grade last year and they both experienced a bully. I was sad about the situation occurring at such a young age. So when I come across any product that brings awareness about bullying I jump on it!
I was recently introduced to a children’s book called The Lasty Bully: Hugo The Happy Starfish.
hugo
Hugo is a little starfish and so it’s not surprising that in this story he comes across several bigger fish in the ocean. Sadly, they are bigger fish with the wrong attitudes – they are bullies! After seeing his friend getting bullied, Hugo decides enough is enough. He forms the Anti-Bully Club and teaches the bullies a valuable lesson about respect.
By working together as a group, Hugo and his friends manage to show the bullies that there is always a bigger fish in the sea and that happiness comes from respecting others not bullying them.
hugo2
I read this book to my daughters and they got really emotional. They got really upset at the bullies and could not wait until Hugo stood up to each of them. We had a long talk about being a bully and helping friends that are being bullied. They both told me about incidents that they remembered at school. Like girls making fun of their hair color or the kind of shirt they had on. (Remember they are 7 and 5!)
I really liked the story line of The Last Bully: Hugo The Happy Fish. It showed several different bullying situations. I liked how Hugo formed the Anti-Bully Club and helped his friends. The illustrations was also colorful and well drawn. Haley and Amberly enjoyed the pictures.
I highly recommend this book to parents and teachers even if bullying is not an issue at the moment, but it will become an issue in the future and kids need to be taught about not bullying and helping people who are being bullied.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment